Why this theme?
This final theme builds upon the work of the previous themes, taking all that has been learned about social emotional learning, the nature of online hate speech, effective campaigning and effecting change at a local level, and applying it to a wider context. Learners have the opportunity to consider the hate speech issues in wider society, the responsibilities of the media in spreading/responding to hateful content, and the ways in which local community activism can be applied to and sustained in a larger online community.
These questions are provided as examples to initiate and guide discussions around the topics in this theme.
- (Based on previous work...) What are the hate issues in the communities (online and offline) you belong to?
- What do you think are the “big” issues around online hate speech?
- How could you go about tackling a “big issue”?
- Who would you target?
- What would you do?
- What would you hope to achieve?
- How would you get others to support/help you to make a change?
- What features does your main message/call to action need to be heard, taken seriously and empower people to act?